Great article from u.today
Bottom line is that there are some great ICOs, but watch out and choose carefully.
To summarize (quoted):
• 70% of crypto tokens that didn’t make it to the top 100 currencies on CoinMarketCap fail to meet investors’ expectations, plunging below their initial value.
• At the same time, more than 30 percent of ICOs that were launched in 2017-2018 are not listed on any cryptocurrency exchange. Some developers behind these unlisted tokens even failed to provide the information about the distribution of token supply while raking in over $1 bln.
• Among these tokens, which have almost zero liquidly, there are some big-name projects in the likes of Bancor that raised a whopping $150 mln this February.
• While CoinMarketCap shows that the crypto market is currently valued at $207 mln, Diar states that a lion’s share of this sum is attributed to the top five biggest coins along with stablecoins. The total market cap of nearly 2,000 other coins listed on CMC doesn’t exceed $35 mln.
• Another takeaway from this study is that a big number of ICOs that took place in 2017 are now worth less than $2.2 bln in total.